Perhaps I have been doing nothing during all the minutes of my life that have passed since I wrote my last post here but stirring up dust and chasing my own tail. The jury is still out on that one, and might remain out for some time to come. What I do know is that I have talked to more people in the area I live, made more phone calls, sent out more emails in this past week than I have in the entire 12+ years I have lived here.
What does all this mean? What will happen? What will become of my efforts to provide a place for this fantastic drum group from Congo to come to in our dusty high desert area (on the American-Mexican border line)? I have as of this moment absolutely not one solitary solid clue!
What I do seem to know through my friend (as mentioned in previous post before this one) is that all eight members of this band have boarded a jet on the east coast at this moment and are about to lift into the air in flight to perform at a festival in Bangkok, Thailand.
They were mysteriously (mostly) sent coupons to redeem yesterday for their tickets. The group was not sure that the tickets weren’t part of some scam. Nope. Yesterday was redemption day and sure enough there were the tickets and off they go into the wild blue yonder!
Meanwhile I am unsure about how to proceed toward arranging paying gigs for this group SHOULD they actually, really appear on my doorstep on Thursday, March 8th as PERHAPS planned!
How can anything be PERHAPS planned?
I don’t claim to know, but PERHAPS planning seems to be the human lot in life on this earth!
Nobody has any grant money here to pay this group. Our area is poor and getting poorer. Would anyone pay cover charges to see this group? Buy tickets? Give adequate donations at a performance in a park?
Where will 8 people from Congo stay?
If this PERHAPS plan moves forward into the future I will give the group my humble little house while I figure out where I will sleep elsewhere — wherever elsewhere turns up!
This entire venture appears to run on nothing but global love, high hopes, trust in one another (I have certainly never (yet) met these people!), and FAITH in God.
Can things go wrong! Oh, glory glory could they go wrong. But again, what exactly does WRONG mean?
Embarrassment and local humiliation for me, I suppose. Hours invested in contacting people for venues. Hours of expressed and hopefully shared hopes with others in my community. All come to naught if the group changes course in mid air and lands elsewhere upon return than the near middle of nowhere — and instead lands where the lights are brighter and the bucks are bigger?
Do I give up? I can’t wait until they (supposedly) re-land in America as PERHAPS planned on February 28th to make the connections here that would provide any hope of performance and pay for the group. Time is extremely short as it is should they indeed appear here on the 8th.
Well, I imagine their tickets are at this moment of lift off targeted to re-land the group where PERHAPS planned come that date. But what could happen from this moment forward is ONLY known by God – and none of the rest of us.
But isn’t that just plain LIFE??????
8:30 am – word just in – ALL IS A GO!!